Tires/Hummimg from rear passenger side

I have this some what high pitch humming from the rear pass,side I have had my mechanic look at it. he's first thought was pinion gear but when he looked at it, it didn't look too bad so he thought maybe the transfer case but that was ok to. so with a bit of off center wear he replaced gears in the rear, abut the noise remained so at no additional charge he replaced the passenger side axle but the noise remains. My thoughts are a broken or probable loose belt in the rear tire am I crazy or not the rear end does not seamy or vibrate like a broken belt would on the front tire?

The easy diagnostic tool would be to rotate the tires.  If the noise moves, then it is the tires - and if it doesn't, it is not the tires.

Second, I don't think you mean "broken belt".  That term doesn't have any meaning within the tire industry even though it is used quite a bit by non-experts.  The term is used where "tread separation" is a better term. - and, No, a tread separation would give more of a vibration than a noise.

More likely would be irregular wear (which is another place where the term "broken belt" is used incorrectly), and that is mostly caused by mis-alignment and that would occur on front positions, not solid rear axles (unless the rear axle had a serious problem.)   

So do the rotation and see if the problem is in the tires or in the vehicle.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.