Tires/P to LT Tire Pressure Help

I just put the BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 tires on my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser and the one that fits my vehicle is Product Number 76397 - LT265/70R17/E 121S.  My vehicle tire placard lists the tire size as P265/70R17 and says the cold tire pressure should be 32 PSI.  Since the tires I bought are a LT E load range size and the tire pressure specified by Toyota is for a Passenger tire, what cold pressure should I inflate the LT E load range tires to?  I'm just looking for the optimal tire pressure that will keep the tires wearing evenly and handling/performing the way they are supposed to.  Thanks in advance.

I am not a fan of substituting LT type tires for P type tires - and the reason will be obvious in a moment.

In order to carry the same load, LT tires of the same dimension need to use 15 psi more than P type tires.  Needless to say, this changes the spring rate of the tire and has an affect on how the suspension reacts to input from irregularities in the road surface - and inparticular, in a way not intended by the vehicle manufacturer which tuned the suspension for lower pressures.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.