Tires/Tire Pressure

I have an 2002 Chevy Avalanche. I have installed AT 285/70R - 17inch KO tires. What pressure do you recommend using for best ride and to ensure best (minimum) wear??

On every vehicle sold in the US, there is a sticker, called the vehicle tire placard - placard, for short - that lists the original tire size and the specified pressure for that vehicle.  ON GM trucks, it is located on the driver's doorpost.  What does yours say?

According to Tire Guides, the placard ought to say P265/70R17 at 35 psi.  If this information is correct, and your tires are LT285/70R17's, then in order to carry the same load, those LT tires need to use 35 psi.

Also, the pressure for the best ride would not be the same pressure for the best wear.  The pressure I gave you would be the best pressure for wear and durability, which are the primary concerns since you don't want a failure due to low pressure.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.