Tires/Tire Pressure

Question
I have an 2002 Chevy Avalanche. I have installed AT 285/70R - 17inch KO tires. What pressure do you recommend using for best ride and to ensure best (minimum) wear??

Answer
Dave,

On every vehicle sold in the US, there is a sticker, called the vehicle tire placard - placard, for short - that lists the original tire size and the specified pressure for that vehicle.  ON GM trucks, it is located on the driver's doorpost.  What does yours say?

According to Tire Guides, the placard ought to say P265/70R17 at 35 psi.  If this information is correct, and your tires are LT285/70R17's, then in order to carry the same load, those LT tires need to use 35 psi.

Also, the pressure for the best ride would not be the same pressure for the best wear.  The pressure I gave you would be the best pressure for wear and durability, which are the primary concerns since you don't want a failure due to low pressure.  

Tires

Barry Smith