Tires/71 VW tire replacement

Hi -- my Karmann Ghia came with the old 5.60x15 measurement radial tires; they have been replaced over the years,last time with
165/86/R15 which I can't find anywhere.  I've been told that either
185/65R15  or  155/80/r15 would work -- but these are hard to find.

Is there a first choice, second choice on the sizes?  

First, you have to understand that the tire world has moved on in the 40 some years since the Karmann Ghia was produced, and tire sizes have changed considerably.  So you will just have to accept that you are not going to find a lot of options - in other words, it is probably best if you take what you can find - and that may involve ordering tires over the internet.

I see that Tire Rack has a P155/80R13 Goodrich Radial TA.

I also see that Coker Tire has vintage tires (period correct) tires in a 5.60-15 size.

Good luck

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.