Top 40/Pop Music/Instrumental recording from early 60s

Question
Heard and loved an instrumental that was Alley Cat played in counterpoint to Dominique (song from the Singing Nun).  First heard it in fall 62.  Can't remember if either song was *dominant* or which one was played first but the combination in counterpoint was extremely danceable.  Do not remember the name of band or artist.  Believe it may have been more of a big band group (brass and woodwinds) as opposed to something more on the order of all guitar rock group.  Would very much appreciate any information you can provide.
Thanks in advance.

Answer
Sorry but I'm confused by your phrasing of this question:  "Heard and loved an instrumental that was Alley Cat played in counterpoint to Dominique (song from the Singing Nun).  First heard it in fall 62.  Can't remember if either song was *dominant* or which one was played first but the combination in counterpoint was extremely danceable."

I don't know what any of this means.  What do you mean by "played in counterpoint" and what was Alley Cat?  What does it mean when I song is dormant?

I am struck dumb by the terms used here.

Top 40/Pop Music

Steve Anderson, MA