Top 40/Pop Music/I"ll always love my mama and Sweet home Alabama

Question
Which song was more popular The Intruders 1973 single "I"ll always love my mama" or Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1974 single "Sweet home Alabama"?

Answer
Hi David,

From a Billboard Top 40 perspective, which charts overall popularity, Lynyrd Skynyrd wins this contest. "Sweet Home Alabama" reached #8 in the chart and stayed in the Top 40 for 11 weeks. The Intruders' "I'll Always Love My Mama" only reached #36 and was in the chart for 6 weeks.  

However, before we call the contest final, we must consider that we are talking about two very different styles of popular music here. Skynyrd's "Sweet..." is pure southern classic rock, while the Intruders' "...Mama" is R&B.  So, I must cite that "I'll Always Love My Mama" also charted in the R&B Top 40, reaching #6 and staying for 11 weeks on that chart.

So, it may come down to your definition of "more popular".

Thanks,
Erick

Top 40/Pop Music

Erick Byrd