Top 40/Pop Music/I"ll always love my mama and Sweet home Alabama

Which song was more popular The Intruders 1973 single "I"ll always love my mama" or Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1974 single "Sweet home Alabama"?

Hi David,

From a Billboard Top 40 perspective, which charts overall popularity, Lynyrd Skynyrd wins this contest. "Sweet Home Alabama" reached #8 in the chart and stayed in the Top 40 for 11 weeks. The Intruders' "I'll Always Love My Mama" only reached #36 and was in the chart for 6 weeks.  

However, before we call the contest final, we must consider that we are talking about two very different styles of popular music here. Skynyrd's "Sweet..." is pure southern classic rock, while the Intruders' "...Mama" is R&B.  So, I must cite that "I'll Always Love My Mama" also charted in the R&B Top 40, reaching #6 and staying for 11 weeks on that chart.

So, it may come down to your definition of "more popular".

Top 40/Pop Music

Erick Byrd

I can answer all questions related to hit songs and pop artists of the rock and roll era. My specialty is U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart history and one hit wonders from 1950's through the 90's. I can also research lyrics to songs. I am more knowledgeable in the area of pop and rock songs, but I am willing to research soul and country songs. I cannot answer questions relating to classical, jazz, or rap songs. Also, I'm not an expert on music videos.

I am an avid reader of Joel Whitburn Top 40 books and a collector of all pop and rock hit songs.

My educational credentials include a college degree in history and over twenty-five years of life experience as a fan of popular music.