Top 40/Pop Music/Richard Digance

Hi Erick,
I think it was back in the seventies that I bought a compilation album that contained a version of "A Nightingale sang in Berkley square".
I loved this version and I think it was by Richard Digance but I can't be absolutely sure.
I've tried Ebay and Youtube etc without success.
Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Hi Mike,

It was not made clear in your question whether you were looking to buy this particular compilation album or song, or whether you simply wanted information on the song.  So I will attempt to answer both inquiries.  Both answers assume that you are correct that it was Richard Digance that sang the version of "A Nightingale Sang (In Berkeley Square)" you want.  The song is a standard and has been covered by a multitude of artists, so providing information on all versions for all compilation albums would be like finding the proverbial "needle in a haystack".

Regarding the compilation album, I only found a single appearance of Richard Digance's version of "Nightingale" on any compilation album. So with any luck, this is the album you once owned. It's called "Vital Vinyl Volume One" on Pickwick Records, released in 1980.  Here is a link to a website where you can buy that album and it includes a photo of the album cover:

As for the song itself, Digance's "Nightingale" was released as a single in 1979 and also appears on his 1979 album Commercial Road on Chrysalis Records. I cannot locate any mention of the song reaching the UK charts, but an Internet interview included a statement that Digance never had any hit singles or albums.  Here is a link to buy the single:  

Another option is to buy the CD of Commercial Road, which was reissued in 1996 paired with Live At The QEH.  This can be located through Amazon:

Unfortunately, I couldn't locate any links to either listen to or to buy a digital download of the song or the album.

Hopefully, the information provided will help you find the song or album you're searching for.

Top 40/Pop Music

Erick Byrd

I can answer all questions related to hit songs and pop artists of the rock and roll era. My specialty is U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart history and one hit wonders from 1950's through the 90's. I can also research lyrics to songs. I am more knowledgeable in the area of pop and rock songs, but I am willing to research soul and country songs. I cannot answer questions relating to classical, jazz, or rap songs. Also, I'm not an expert on music videos.

I am an avid reader of Joel Whitburn Top 40 books and a collector of all pop and rock hit songs.

My educational credentials include a college degree in history and over twenty-five years of life experience as a fan of popular music.