Towing Issues/Towing my Miata 5 speed on a dolly

suki wrote at 2013-09-06 17:45:11
TOWING A MAZDA MIATA

I have read a number of articles on towing a Mazda Miata, and found misleading information.

However I decided to tow a Miata, here is the story and results.

I have a 1997 mazda maita 5 speed standard transmission with 118,000 miles on the clock.

I rented a u-haul car dolly in Totonto, Ontario Canada.

Loaded the front wheels of my miata on the dolly and left the rear wheels on the road.

Shifted, the transmission in neutral and the hand brake off.

I towed the miata with my ram 1500 van, 5.2 L engine from Toronto to Pompano Beach Fl.

Total distance of 1600 miles.

Arrived in pompano beach, safe and sound. Unloaded the Miata and drove around the block

I have been driving the miata for the last 1 ˝ months, with no ill effects on the transmission due to towing.

In all the trip was a success.

Notes:

1.   I did not disconnect the drive shaft or the speedometer cable, Mazda did record additional miles due to towing.

2.   Remember the technical manuals are written by the engineers but reviewed and approved by the company lawyers. With one blanket statement (DO NOT TOW THE VEHICLE)  they can keep the company out of trouble from frivolous law suits.

Sheri wrote at 2013-11-14 17:18:00
Thank you so much for posting your experience. When I moved earlier this year to NC for FL, I trailered my 1997 5 spd Miata 140k, Sheriafter reading several forums. Now I am headed back and was seriously considering simply dollying it as opposed to paying extra to trailer. So good to know t worked for you!

Towing Issues

Richard