Towing Issues/24HR Tow company will not return my call

Location:Buffalo, NY
My car was towed from a parking lot between the hours of 10pm-12am last night. I placed my first call this morning around 11am & left a message with my contact & car info. After hearing no response I tried calling again around 1pm but still no answer. I found the lot address, got a ride there but when I pulled up the lot was locked even though the sign stated they were open. Plus they advertise as being open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I called them again at 5:30pm & left another message. It is now 8:30 and still have not heard back from them. My question is: Are there any parameters on how long they can hold a vehicle without calling the owner back? I have been on the internet for hours looking for information and would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your time.

I hope that you have got in touch and have your vehicle back.  Sorry for the delay in answering as I have been busy lately...

First of all, most every tow company is a "24 hour" service in the fact that they take calls all the time. But the storage yards do have regular business hours as in Monday thru Friday 8 to 5 or close to those hours.

Now since some companies are kind of shady when they do tow aways (not everyone is that way) some play the hours game to get more storage fees..After all if you can not get it they charge more. But they are supposed to also offer "after hours release" of vehicles, for a fee of course. Sometimes that can be more then waiting for them to open up on Monday...

As to laws, in some areas there are laws for tow companies who do tow aways. But in some cases they do not pay attention to them, or they push them because they know no one knows their rights.

Buffalo New York has some tow companies which fit that mold... But there are lots of them who are professional and honest... (remember the flatbed tow truck who wound up in the pool after the wreck a few years ago)

Now there might be laws for that area, you would have to check with the City and see if they are regulated. And if you feel you were wronged you always have the Small Claims Court route that you can go.  

Towing Issues

Professional towing and recovery operator for 31 Plus years, dealing with light to heavy duty towing operations... Nationally certified by various agencies - associations.. Been answering questions here for 6 + years now on AllExperts. I know that many people do not understand vehicle towing when ordered by Law Enforcement or from Private Property Parking lots, which I will try to help with. BUT, I DO NOT AND WILL NOT ANSWER ANY RV TOWING ISSUES, or actual law cases or proposed cases...

I have 30+ years of towing experience dealing with everything from Light duty ( cars and pickups ) to tractor trailer rigs, motor homes and buses.. Motor clubs to police calls, lockouts to jumpstarts and tows. I have experienced alot of fun times doing my job. Some have been good experiences and some of have been heart wrenching experiences.

Been affiliated with TRAA(towing and recovery association of america), Oregon Tow Truck Association, Washington Tow Truck Association, Wyoming Tow Truck Association , and Alabama Tow Truck Association

Tow Times Magazine
American Towman
STA Phantom Towing News
Towing and Recovery Phootnotes Footnotes Towing and Recovery News

TRAA Heavy duty Trained operator 1987
TRAA Management Classes   1986
Wreckmaster training programs (since 1992)
Several other training programs (to many to list )