Toyota Repair/1989 toyota pickup, 22re, fuel filter change

River Bob wrote at 2013-07-25 01:17:15
Starter must be removed.  Then the job is much easier if after removing the starter, a machining step is performed on the filter bracket.  A slot is cut outwards in the top hole of the new filter bracket.  This hole may be identified by orienting the filter such that the outlet is on your left, and the inlet is on your right.  The top hole is then at the top of the filter.  Note:  the other end of the bracket contains a pre-existing slot for mounting to the bottom screw.  So, to help illustrate the suggested set up, when the filter is finally mounted to the engine, this new, open slot will project upwards.  This slotting operation involves cutting the metal or grinding the metal so as to fashion an open slot, or "U-shaped" opening, instead of the closed circular hole from the factory.  Care should be taken to not damage the bracket.  Also, the slot width must be at least as large as the hole.  Filings/shavings should not be allowed to enter the filter ports.  Tape can be used to cover the ports.

This enables the newly-slotted part of the filter bracket to be easily inserted under the washers of the top screw.  You just have to take care that the bracket at the top is under the washers.  Once the top part of the bracket is in place, the filter needs to be pushed up all the way so the bottom screw can be installed.  Once the filter bracket bolts are tightened, the next step is to tighten the fuel line banjo bolts.  The starter is then replaced, and the rest is straight forward.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems