Toyota Repair/89' Camry ,bad running

QUESTION: Have a 1989 camry that was brought in after the customer tried to fix a misfire issue with a tune up(Cap, rotor, plugs, wires).  After doing so, it no longer started. Somehow figured out to disconnect the Aif flow sensor and only then it would idle. He replaced that to no help. Customer then replaced the computer to solve this problem, same result.
We have 2x his tune up and only fault found is the distributer leaking oil.  Checked base timing, found it was off, corrected that. Will just bairly run at idle up to 1500rpm then promply dies off/chokes with Air flow sensor disconnected.  With it connected, no start at all. Have @22psi on fuel gauge during idle and throtle up. TPS has no change on these problems. Disconnect/reconnect of battery did not help.  Geting no spark when Air flow sensor pluged in.  I am at a loss.

ANSWER: Hello, have you checked for any diagnostic codes? I also need to know if it's a 4 cylinder or V-6, let me know about this and I'll get back to you.

QUESTION: Sorry I thought I had that in there.  2.0(3s-fe) and no diagnostic codes available, the MODIS did not have support for it, tried the generic route and got no codes either.

Ok, locate the diagnostic connector under the hood and put a jumper between terminals TE1 and E1, turn the key on, the check engine light will flash giving you a two digit code, let me know what codes if any.
Remember that all codes are erased when the battery is disconnected, so make sure the computer has a chance to store a code.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems