Toyota Repair/White smoke on Cold Start

Question

Ihave 2003 toyota camry LE i am getting white smoke at the tail pipe when its started after the vehicle is off for long hours say for eg 8 hrs.the smoke is not comming at the tail pipe if you switch it off and on.

i contacted the local toyota dealer for diagnostics. they said that engine valve seals are leaking.

if the oil is leaking into the cylinders, oil level should reduce right.

but the oil level is not reduced much.

please tell me if i continue to drive with this would  there be any adverse effect?

as its very expensive to fix it by the dealer, i am planning to fix it outside .is it a wise move?

please suggest me

Answer
Leaking valve seals are very common on these engines, it doesn't take much oil to cause the smoke, if the smoke is greyish/blue then it's the seals, white steam would indicate headgasket problems so you need to make sure which is the case first, the seals can be replaced without removing the cylinder head, any good technician that knows toyota engines should be able to do this.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter