Toyota Repair/1.6 L No fire

Question
Hello, Ted.  
You may have answered a similar question, but you've answered so many, I wasn't able to get through all of them.
My son's 94 Geo Prizm started, went a short distance, then died.
I towed it to my shop.  No previous problems. Has high mileage.  Fuel pump works.  The bug in distributor is turning, but have no fire to plugs.  Cranks good.  The complete distributor is less expensive than just the ignition module, which is included with a new (rebuilt) dist.  I want to be sure before replacing this, since it is not returnable after installation.
I have 12 volts to the distributor.  Primary of coil is 1.6 ohms.
Secondary is in the thousands to ground.  I don't know how to check the ign. module and parts stores aren't able to test this particular one.  I pulled dist. out a little so I could rotate bug to see if pickups were working.  Wasn't sure what I should find, but did have a variation of voltage on the output of coil.  Never over 13 volts.   There was also a clicking sound with each revolution of the bug-coming from another part of the engine.  Appreciate any assistance you can give.  Thank you.

Answer
The most likely causes on this engine for no spark are the distributor and the igniter module, with the most common a loss of rpm signal from the generator in the distributor, the computer is not getting the ignition confirmation signal and will also shut the injectors off.
I would try to confirm by checking for diagnostic codes at the check connector under the hood, locate the connector and put a short jumper wire between the terminals TE1 and E1, with the key on the check engine light will flash a two digit code, for example a code 12 would be one blink and then two and so on. If you get a code 12 replace the distributor, if it's a code 14 it's most likely the igniter or both, tests for both are not reliable and the igniter can not be tested seperately other than making sure there is voltage going to it/

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter