Toyota Repair/1998 Toyota Camry Headlight Short

Question
We just bought a 1998 Toyota Camry VIN is JT2BG22KXW011. Just found our first issue.

When you have the headlights turned on driving at night and switch to use the left turn signal the headlights go dark. The turn signal does work but our headlights do not come back on unless the turn signal returns and you wiggle the headlight knob. I'm sure it's a short somewhere but this is our first Toyota ever and have no idea where to start. Any help Would be greatly appreciated!!

Answer
Hello, an electrical problem like this is very hard to diagnose in a forum such as this, it could be a problem with the light switch/ combination switch or a wiring problem, the first thing I would do is to check all the bulbs both front and rear to make sure that the correct bulbs are installed and the sockets are not burned or corroded, then systematically check all fuses both inside and under the hood, check for signs or overheated or coroded fuse receptacles, under the hood check the headlight relay vor the same just a good visual inspection may turn up something, get an inexpensive 12 volt test light and check all fuses with the key on for voltage on both sides of the fuse and replace any that are doubtful, good luck and let me know how it goes.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter