Toyota Repair/2002 Toyota Camry Throttle problem

Question
My 2002 Toyota Camry LE 2.4, 172000 miles is having throttle problems.  It idles about 900 rpm which seems fine, but when I go to accelerate, it does not work until I reach approximately half throttle, and then it works sparatically. I took off the air cleaner, and tubing and there is some buildup in the throttle body.  Could this be a carbon buildup problem? I have read that it could have something to do with the throttle position sensor, but it seems odd that this would happen all of the sudden.  A few days back I removed the battery to use it in a different vehicle, but once re-installed, everything worked perfect until now, and I have driven approximately 1000 miles in the last few days.

Answer
Hello, carbon deposits in the throttle body can affect idle and low speed performance, I would clean the carbon out first using a brush and some cleaner, disconnect the battery and drive it for a bout 20minutes and see if that helps, if the check engine light is on there may be a more involved problem which would require retrieving the diagnostic codes from the computer.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter