Toyota Repair/94 Celica GT has no ignition spark

My daughter's 94 Celica died on her way to college. The engine cranks fine with starter, but will not start. I pulled  spark plug wires and there is no spark to any cylinder. The engine is a 1.8l 4 cyl. with a distributor. What I have checked so far: Timing belt is ok, cams are turning. I checked all the fuses I could locate. I pulled the cover off the distributor and checked the air gap at pick up coil (OK). I would appreciate any pointers the members of this site could provide. The parts manager at the dealership told me that an expensive part called an Ignitor could be bad. Is there a test I could do to verify the ignitor is bad. Thanks..Mike

It is possible that the igniter is the problem but the signal generator in the distributor is a more likely cause, this will result in a loss of spark confirmation signal to the computer.
The first I would do is to check for diagnostic codes, on this model year you can do this yourself.
Locate the diagnostic check connector under the hood and open the cover, locate the terminals TE1 and E1 and put a jumper wire between them, turn the key on, the check engine light will start to blink, if there are no codes it will just blink with no pattern, if there are codes it will blink a two digit code number, for example a code 12 would be one blink followed by two with a short pause and then will either repeat or show another code, let me know if there are any codes.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems