Toyota Repair/96 Avalon starter issues

96 Avalon 140,000 miles sporadic (twice every three weeks), transient non-start. Once the engine died while pulling into parking spot, and once continued to run when keys removed.  Drove to dealer and after $540 drove home with new IAC valve put in.  14 days later one nonstart episode, 6 weeks later completely dead.  Dealer sent mechanic to house and I was told need a new starter.  Question: How much more do you think is reasonable to spend given the initial outlay.  What do I do if after replacing starter they tell me it is now something else?  I struggle with the thought of having paid $540 and still have issues.  Should dealer have any responsibility?  If I was told this repair was going to be $750 initially  and it was driving like it was I probably would have elected to drive away and get a second opinion.

Starter problems are not uncommon on these models so I will agree with the dealer that the starter needs to be replaced,unless already done they should also check the battery and the alternator before replacing the starter. The IAC valve they replaced does cause engine stalling but has nothing to do with the engine cranking initially over, it is responsible for keeping the engine idling at the correct rpm.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems