Toyota Repair/cold start

Question
I have a 1988 toyota pick up with 3.0 V6 automatic 4wd. It is really hard to get started when cold.. tries to but acts like it is a fuel issue. Once it starts , it runs and re-starts just fine. I have run fuel system cleaner thru it several times but it is getting harder to start now each time. It has 215,000 miles on it ... local "experts" say that it is a fuel injector problem... what is your spin on this... thanks, Courtney

Answer
They may be referring to the cold start injector located on the side of the intake chamber, it may be that or a bad cold start injector time switch or possibly a fuel pressure regulator, to check the cold start injector operation it should be removed from the intake and checked to see if it sprays fuel while cranking the engine, if not then the injector may be clogged or the cold start time switch is not working as it should, this switch is located at the very rear of the engine near the firewall, it is the largest sensor on the casting that has the other sensors and the heater hose on it.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter