Toyota Repair/cold start

I have a 1988 toyota pick up with 3.0 V6 automatic 4wd. It is really hard to get started when cold.. tries to but acts like it is a fuel issue. Once it starts , it runs and re-starts just fine. I have run fuel system cleaner thru it several times but it is getting harder to start now each time. It has 215,000 miles on it ... local "experts" say that it is a fuel injector problem... what is your spin on this... thanks, Courtney

They may be referring to the cold start injector located on the side of the intake chamber, it may be that or a bad cold start injector time switch or possibly a fuel pressure regulator, to check the cold start injector operation it should be removed from the intake and checked to see if it sprays fuel while cranking the engine, if not then the injector may be clogged or the cold start time switch is not working as it should, this switch is located at the very rear of the engine near the firewall, it is the largest sensor on the casting that has the other sensors and the heater hose on it.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems