Toyota Repair/Dual overhead cam valve stem seals

I have a 1983 Toyota cressida 5MGE 6 cylinder twin overhead cam with 122,000 miles Automatic trans.If I let idle in parking lot for 20 minutes or more than drive down the street it will smoke out of tailpipe a little for 20-30 seconds then clears up. Uses one quart at 1000 miles. Without removing the heads to replace valve stem seals, what special tools do I need and does the cam shaft need to be removed to replace seals? I have air compressor to put air in cylinder.

The camshafts and the upper camshaft housings have to be removed to get to the valves, you'll need a way to pessurize each cylinder that you are working on to keep the vlaves from falling into the cylinder, you will need air pressure and a hose that goes into the spark plug hole, a vlave spring compressor socket will also be needed these parts are available at most tool and autosupply stores.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems