Toyota Repair/1998 avalon part near egr valve

QUESTION: 1998 avalon piece broke off near egr vavle.  It is in line with the egr valve and it is like a 2 inch round black plastic cylinder with black foam around it, hollow and the air seems to just flow through it, no wires, so I just connected the hose directly to the egr valve. I can't find this part and I don't know what it does, any idea?

ANSWER: This is the EGR vacuum modulator valve, contact the toyota dealer for an exact replacement.

1998 avalon engine part
1998 avalon engine par  
QUESTION: Thanks, but it is not the part I am referring to.  I have attached a picture, with the part circled in red. It has only 1 inlet and 1 outlet, and it doesn't show up on parts web sites.  The egr vacuum modulator valve shows up in pics and it is not the part I am asking about.  I look forward to hearting from you. Thanks so very much.

Toyota sometimes uses a vacuum dampener it some applications, not sure why other than maybe to store a small amount of vacuum to activate the vsv faster when needed, not really important but if you show the picture to a toyota dealer parts department I'm sure they can order one for you.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems