Toyota Repair/engines dies

QUESTION: i have a 91 toyota pickup with a 3.0 ,and a 5 speed trans its a 3vze motor the engine dies when im driving the lights and everthing else are fine its just the motor it seem to do it when im down shifting i let it set for like a minute and it starts right back up like nothing happened do u have  any ideas on what it might be or how to trouble shoot the problem so i can fix it thanks for your help

ANSWER: Try replacing the fuel filter, it's located on the passenger side door on the inside of the frame.

QUESTION: that is the first thing i did i think it has to do with the ing. because you can smell gas in the exhaust and when it dies it just dies it doesnt act like its running out  of gas it has happened about 5 times and everytime it is the same amount of distance ive gone or the same amount of time that the motor has run could it be the coil or ingniter

ANSWER: Check for diagnostic codes next, open the cover of the DLC mounted to the fuse box under the hood, locate the terminals TE1 and E1, put a jumper wire between these two terminals, the check engine light will start to blink, a code will be two digits fors example a code 12 would be 1 blink followed by two, there may be more than one code so check carefully, let me know if there are any codes.

QUESTION: ok i unhook the battery cable to clear any codes then i drove it about 8 to 10 miles untill it died  it started back up i drove it home when i got here i checked the codes and it has only 1 i let it flash like 4 times and it showed 14  1 flash flowed by 4 flashes the  book says open or short in the IGF or IGT circuit from ignitier to ecm  or the igniter or the ECM so where do i go from here is there some way to check which one it is or start with the cheapest to fix first and work my way up

Very common problem, the computer (ECM) is not getting an ignition confirmation signal, the problem is either the coil igniter assembly or the distributor, most likely the igniter from my experience in the past, there are no reliable tests for the igniter other than by substitution, I would look for a used coil/igniter assembly at an salvage yard, you can probably pick this up for less than $100, distributors are usually about $50/

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems