Toyota Repair/2007 Highlander engine died after A/T oil temp came on

QUESTION: What could be wrong? Oil light came and replaced oil, then check engine, VCS land A/T oil temp lights came and the engine died.

ANSWER: Hello, does the engine crank when trying to start it? Does it do this and not fire up if not what happens when turning the key to start?
Is the car driveable now?

QUESTION: Thanks. No it doesn't crank when trying to start it. When I turn the key the car interior lights come on, but no sounds from the engine. I tried starting it about 1 hour after it first died and it wouldn't start or crank. Now it's at the mechanic.

ANSWER: Ok, since it's at the mechanic's now just lete know what they say is wrong, it's hard for me to say at this time, if the engine ran out or low on oil there may be engine damage or the engine may have seized up .

QUESTION: That's what is puzzling me. That morning Jiffy Lube changed the oil so I don't understand how the car could not have oil. What does it mean for an engine to "seize up?" Also, when the mechanic looked under the hood there wasn't a mess. We are the original owners and never had an issue before.

It's possible jiffy lube frogot to tighten the drain plug or the oil filter may have leaked, this should be obvious, if there was no oil in the engine it had to go somewhere or they didn't put enough oil in.
By seize up I mean the bearings may seize due to lack of lubrication causeing the engine to not crank over when trying to start, what does the mechanic say?  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems