Toyota Repair/transmission and differential fluid replacement on 2006 Toyota RAV4

Local dealer informed me that, due to the color of the fluid in the transmission and differential, I should have the fluid replaced to the tune of about $475.  As I understand it, these fluids are good for the life of the vehicle and don't even have to be checked until 100,000 miles.  I have 70,000 miles of the 2006 RAV4.

Your thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Toyota does not have a specific interval for fluid change on this transmission and you are correct, they state that it is lifetime fluid,most dealers however do recommend changing the fluid at about 90,000 miles, $475 seems way to high, just to change the fluid should be more like $250 or so, it requires a special procedure so it's a little more involved then just pulling a drain plug and then filling it back up.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems