Toyota Repair/2000 camry with P0441 code

QUESTION: Hi and thanks so much for helping!
The check engine light went on and the diagnostics indicated that EGR valve is a problem.  In your experience with Camrys of this vintage with this code, is there anything else we should be checking first to rule out in order to prevent an unnecessary replacement of EGR valve?  

ANSWER: The P0441 code has nothing to do with the EGR system, it is related to the emission control system but it is the fuel vapor recovery (evap) system, this is a very common code and in most cases replacing the fuel filler cap and resetting the light by disconnecting the negative battery cable clears this up, give that a try and let me know if the code returns.

QUESTION: Well, this is embarrassing:  I wrote down the code wrong.  Actually it was P0401.  I'm sorry!
Given this corrected code #, is there anything we should be checking first in EGR system to rule out unnecessary work on this 2000 Camry?
Thank you so much and I'm sorry again for my mistake,

That's no problem, the 401 code EGR related and in most cases the problem is the EGR modulator valve, it's located near the metal EGR valve, is about 2 inches in diameter, plastic and has three small vacuum hoses and a larger hose on the bottom connecting to a metal pipe, about 80% of the time this valve is the problem, you can do a quick inspection yourself, pop off the small plastic cover on the top of the valve, it has some letters on it like Q/R/E after the cover is off pull out the filter and inspect the bottom for a burned spot, if so replace the valve it is leaking.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems