Toyota Repair/94 Camry 2.2 Gas odor

Hi Ted ,
Big fan here.
My 94 Camry 140k  has developed a strong gas smell .
It is mostly in the rear of the car and cannot be smelled from the inside of vehicle i'm a handy person and do most maintenance on it myself but do not know where to start with this issue . Under the hood I do not smell raw gas and seems to be stronger on the passenger rear .
Thank You in advance for your time and help.

Hello, I'll have to start with the obvious, is the gas cap sealing or is there any damage to the filler neck? If not check underneath at the gas tank area, any fuel leakage should be obvious, I believe on this model the fuel evap canister is located at the rear just behind the tank, these can get saturated with fuel over time and overflow or develop cracks as well as breather hoses going from it and the tank or the front from the engine, I assume the check engine light is not staying on?  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems