Toyota Repair/Corolla 94 - Automatic - PRNDL Plate Broken

Question
Hi Ted,

The PRNDL plate is broken in 2 pieces around the speed selector (this was probably my wife resting her purse on top of the PRNDL and then shifting gears). Let me be more precise, the plate where the letters PRNDL etc are engraved isn't broken, what's broken is the plastic sheet around the speed selector, which slides as the selector is moved from gear to gear.

As the selector has been moved back and forth, the 2 pieces of the plate have retracted under the cover and are not visible anymore. There's a hollow down there, so there's nothing to stop a small object like a key, from falling in that cavity where the gear selector is shifted from gear to gear.

Would you please explain to me how to replace that part?
What would happen is object falls down thru the shifter track?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Richard

Answer
The shifter plate just prys out of the console, the part that is broken can be ordered from the dealer, you'll have to remove the shifter handle so the plate can be removed, the handle should have a couple of small allen screws holding it on, when they are removed the shifter can be pulled up, the shifter button will pop out , there is a spring inside, if the overdrive switch is on the handle you'll have to disconnect the wires inside the shift console, a shortcut is to just cut the wires and solder them back together when re assembling.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter