Toyota Repair/EGR vacuum Valve

While diagnosing the P0446  2001 corolla problem following your suggestions.  Having a little rough idling (Vibration) and surge at starting.  Vacuum Leak?   the EGR vacuum valve(airbox) has a distinct ticking sound after warming. Have read that EGR can have vacuum leak. Is this normal? After about 120, 000 miles should this be replaced.

In 1998 with the introduction of the 1ZZ-FE engine Toyota eliminated the EGR system and used VVTi (variable valve timing) to reduce NOx emissions, I assume this valve you are referring to is the evap system purge valve, it is normal for it to click rapidly, it is a duty cycle valve and the operation is controlled by the computer as needed.
To check for an intake leak spray some brake cleaner around the suspected areas like the intake manifold etc, if the engine starts to run smooth then this is where the leak is located, to eliminate the VSV as the cause pinch the vacuum hose going to it off, this is the hose coming from the intake manifold to the valve.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems