Toyota Repair/2000 Toyota Avalon Repair

Question
My wife loves this auto and it is garage kept (103,000mi.) I recently took it to the local Toyota dealer for an oil change and they said it needs valve cover gaskets ($459.78) and oil pan gasket ($533.95) changed as they are seeping oil. There is no oil on my garage floor.
1. Should I wait until I start seeing oil on my garage floor or get the job done now?
2. The cost seems very high, is it reasonable to you?

Answer
Hello, yes wait until you see oil actually leaking on the garage floor, the valve cover gasket cost seems ok, the oil pan cost is way out of line, should be about $200 to reseal the metal oil pan. Either way, to me a leak is not a leak until it drips on the ground, "seeping" is a term used loosely to get you to spend over $1,000 on something that is not needed immediately.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter