Toyota Repair/'90 Corolla stuck in third

QUESTION: That's pretty much it. My wife was coming home and says everything was normal until she tried shifting out of third. The clutch still worked, which helped her get it home, if she did have to perform a couple of dodgy maneuvers to get here without stalling. The only other symptom is this: about three months ago, it started slipping out of fourth in upshifts, and would pop out of all but the smoothest downshifts. Then this.

I'm a pretty handy guy (I've changed the CV axle, power steering line, and an engine mount in this vehicle already), and I've removed and inspected the shifter. It seems fine, but the shifter linkage on the right won't move. What's next in figuring out the problem?

ANSWER: Sounds like an internal transmission problem, possibly worn shift fork or shif selector sleeves.

QUESTION: What do I do next in order to determine where the problem lies?

You'd have to disassemble the transmission and see what parts are affected, you would need some special tools like gear and bearing pullers and a manual that shows you how to disassemble and reassemble the parts, much simpler to just get a used transmission from a Toyota salvage yard.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems