Toyota Repair/98 Avalon ignition switch

The anti-theft ignition tumbler/switch is beginning to go bad on my 1998 Avalon.  Is there any way to replace the OEM anti-theft switch with a non-anti-theft switch?  The cost difference between the two looks to be around $250.00!!!!  If I don't have to shell out the extra cash, that would be great!

I assume that you mean the immobilizer which has a transponder key and a detection coil on the switch, the problem is that if you replace the switch that does not have the transponder pickup coil the theft computer will still look for a signal from the key through the pickup coil if it is missing the engine will not start, to change this you would have to change the computer as well, this would be much more expensive than replacing the switch.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems