Toyota Repair/intermittent starter problem

My 1990 toyota 4runner, V6, 4wd, automatic transmission, with 160K miles has an intermittent starter problem.  I have put a new batter along with two new starters and this problem still exists. I have tested and checked all batteries and starters and they all tested GOOD!

there is no pattern to this starter problem other than when the 4runner has been running for a little while and you stop and park the car for more than 15minutes it will not start. I only get a clicking sound coming from the computer located in the cab.  If I wait for 10 minutes or so It will start up perfectly as if there was no problem.  It seems to be a temperature/resistance problem in the wiring of this starter circuit.  I understand this is a common problem with these 4runners.  How do I approach and solve this problem??? Many thanks Anthony

relay wiring
relay wiring  
Hello, I had this same problem when I owned my 1990 4runner, after trying many things someone told me about a simple fix, quite a few people have inquired to me about this and it worked for me as well as others. It involves installing an extra relay  and some associated wires,
I'm going to attach a diagram that you can use, be sure to use heavy wire (10 gauge) between the positive side of the battery and the 30 terminal on the relay, use 14 gauge for all others, the relay is a simple universal relay available at most autoparts stores, make sure the numbers on the bottom match.
Let me know if you have any questions
If this answer helped please donate, any amount is welcome.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems