Toyota Repair/key will not turn

hi, on a 2001 toyota tacoma 2wd 5 speed basic truck, over 200k miles. all of a sudden the key will not turn no matter what. I've often had to jiggle the steering wheel to release the key to turn but this is different, it will not turn no matter what I try. It's stuck in a parking lot, not sure what to do. I tried to google search a diagram with no results to try and see how it it put together. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hello, either the key or the lock cylinder is worn, most likely the cylinder, usually the cylinder can be pulled out when the key is in the ACC position and depressing the release pin, if this is not an option then it's going to require a locksmith or Toyota dealer to drill the cylinder out and fit a new one.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems