Toyota Repair/starting issue

I have a 1999 Camry,LE. 333,333 miles. 2 months ago the car would not start on the first attempt,or second attempt. At times it would make a "click" noise" at other times "no noise". I cleaned the battery posts. No more problems until a week ago, the same thing started. Battery posts only had a small amount of build up, they have been re-cleaned with new cable terminals, which are tight. But,the problem persists. When attempting to start, I hear either no noise, or a "click". When turning the key to the "start" position, all dash lights go off, then turning key to "off" position and an attempt to restart is successful. It has successfully started on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. The battery is 18 months old, voltage check reveals 12.4 volts.
I am puzzled, please help with any guidance you have. This is my wife's car which she uses for transport to and from work.

Herllo, we can safely assume that the battery is not the problem, when the dash lights turn off like that there is a loss of voltage between the battery and the positive wire going to the fuse box, you assured me that the terminals are also not the problem. Check the negative cable from the battery to engine or frame ground, make sure the ground connection there is good, if that seems ok we would need a volt/ohm meter to do a couple of tests.
In the fuse box under the hood is a large 100A alternator fuse, make sure this fuse is not loose.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems