Toyota Repair/'98 Toyota Camry with Head Gasket Problems

I have a '98 Camry that just recently started to shake when idling.  It has increased as I drive as well.  I took it into a shop where they confirmed I have some damage to the valves.  They quoted me $2500 to fix it and the car is only worth about $2400.  I don't want to pay for the fix, and just need to get rid of the car.  Someone offered me $400 for it, is this okay for the condition, or do you think I could get more?  There are 176k miles on it and its in great condition.  Thanks,

$400 is a little low, you can probably get $1000 on a trade in, you may consider doing that.
Another option would be getting a good uded engine for around $800 and have a shop install it for around another $800 and you only have $1600 invested and you get to keep it or you can sell it for a lot more than $2400 in good condition.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems