Toyota Repair/air conditioning on 96 camry

I have a 96 camry, (4 cylinder). I noticed a month ago on a warm day as I went to change my temperature setting to cold and turn on the air that the temperature dial was very hard to turn to cold, a hard clicking. It would blow hot air. I have taken it to 3 different places. first place said it was compressor shorting out and I needed to replace it (which I cannot afford). Took it for 2nd opinion, and they told me it was the blend door actuator because of the knob being so hard to turn. the 3rd place believes it is the expansion valve clogged up. Please keep in mind Ted, I am a woman who is mechanically challenged so i can only go by what I am being told. one mechanic put freon in it and it was blowing very cold air while in idle, but when i started driving it down the road it went back to blowing hot air. The compressor gets cold, it has plenty of freon, no leaks and no one can understand why it quits blowing cold air once it is in drive. This car has 325k miles on it and I do not wanna invest alot of money into it. The car is in good shape other than the air. I hope from what I have told you maybe you can help. thanks so much in advance. I need some professional advice because I have no one to help me.

Jan Ward

does it have auto/climate control or manual controls, you can tell the difference by looking on the control panel, if it's climate control it will have an "auto" setting. let me know and I'll get back to you. The only answer that makes sense so far is the one that mentions the actuator problem.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems