Toyota Repair/Air filer

Question
I have an 2008 Avalon and want to doublecheck that I installed the engine air filter correctly. I purchased the filter from the dealer. I released the three clips, loosened the screw holding the assembly, and took off the air flow sensor. I was still unable to completely remove the housing, but was able to get the filter in anyway. When I replaced the clips, they went on Ok but there is a very small opening on one corner (front corner, left side) where I can still see a tiny portion of the filter. Is this normal? I don't remember if it was visible before I changed it and don't want to leaver it if it is not properly installed. I believe there are some hinges on the back of the housing but I really could not see them. I am wondering if those hinges did not completely go back the way they are supposed to. Thanks.

Answer
You should not be able to see any part of the filter element, remove the top again and make sure the two "hinges" on the back, it sounds like they are not in place, angle the top about 45 degrees and make sure those protrusions go all the way into the receptacles on the bottom housing.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter