Toyota Repair/fuel pump related toyota truck

I have a 1986 Toyota 4x4 EFI pick up which I thought needed a new fuel pump.  Truck would start and drive for a short while then quit. It did that 2 times then wouldn't start at all.  Took fuel pump out, and connected to battery to test it and the pump works fine.  Wondering where to go from here? Could there still be problems in the fuel pump even thought the motor is working? Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? or a relay? or fuse? How can I test these or do you have any other ideas?  Thank you so much!

Hi Carrie,
locate the diagnostic check connector under the hood, open the cover and turn the key on, put a short jumper wire between the terminals B+ and E1, does this make the pump run? If yes then the problem is either the EFI main relay or the circuit opening relay. Make sure there are 12 volts at the B+ terminal and the EFI fuse, if ok remove the EFI relay and check voltage to thesockets, two of the terminals should have 12 volts with key on, if so try replacing the EFI relay, if none of this works it may need a circuit opening relay.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems