Toyota Repair/should a replacement clutch be soft?

I have a 99 Celica GT, 2.2 L with 160K miles on it.  I just had to replace the clutch for the first time and had it done at a Toyota dealer with Toyota parts.  The new clutch pedal is significantly softer than the old pedal in that it requires almost no pressure to press it down.  Is it normal for a new clutch to feel so different?  I had to replace the clutch on a car I had before this one and did not feel any difference between the new and old clutch that time.  The softness is really bothering me.  As I understand it, this is a hydraulic clutch so the pedal pressure cannot be adjusted?  Did I ask them to put in the wrong clutch?  Is there anything I can do to stiffen the pedal pressure?

They recommended that the flywheel be resurfaced -- could that affect the pedal pressure?

Is there only one replacement clutch for this car?  I seem to remember when I bought the car that the one I got was the more powerful engine and I have been told that stronger engines have stiffer clutch pedals.  I didn't think to ask the dealer if there was more than one choice because I assumed they would replace with the same model.  Did I put in the wrong clutch?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Resurfacing the flywheel has nothing to do with this, Toyota does use updated parts a lot so they may have gone to a different part number and different pressure plate, if the clutch is not slipping then there is most likely nothing to worry about, they do give you a one year parts and labor warranty so if something is going to go wrong it should happen fairly soon/

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems