Toyota Repair/No Spark Relic

I'm working on a 77 Toyota P/U with a 20R (2.2L). The truck sat for 4 years, after carefully bringing it back to life I got it running really well. I went to start it the other day and it would'nt fire up. I checked for spark at the nothing, I checked for spark at the nothing, so I went and bought a new coil. It did'nt help...still no spark. So I thought maybe the igniter was faulty, only to find out that 76 and 77 are the only years Toyota used this type of igniter, and as such, they don't make them anymore. Parts stores don't have any, so I found 1 salvage yard out of 6 here that had 1 in stock. After that $45.00 I still have no spark at the coil! I have tested the wiring from the ignition switch to the igniter and all the wires going to the coil and distributor, they all check out fine, and I am getting power to the coil....just no spark out of it. I have been a mechanic for 22 years (though not usually on the "older" foreign cars)but this has me stumped....should be an easy fix...right???  lol, anyway, any help would be welcome!  Thank you!

Hi Paul,
Needless to say I haven't seen one of these in the last 20 years or so, I had to think back a little and what keeps comoing up in my mind is the distributor, there is a pickup coil and serrated wheel on the shaft, the coil sends an RPM sensor input signal to the igniter, first make sure the connector is ok and the wires have continuity, check the resistance of the pickup coil, I think it should be about 180 ohms, in any case that place that had the igniter may also have a distributor, give this a try and let me know what happens.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems