Toyota Repair/Toyota Camry LE

Question
I have a 2000 Toyota camry LE that has 114,000 miles on it, body shape is great, my son uses it in the cities. Last nite driving he said it shut off twice, within seconds he restarted it, 3rd time, he heard a loud popping sound, thinks something fell off (it was dark) & lots of smoke. It was towed to a shop & today found out the engine blew out. Last oil change was October, he drives a lot, I am 5 hours away & he tells me no signs of trouble till yesterday. The shop says $5000.00 to replace engine & fluids, etc... cannot afford to get him a newer car. Would you replace the engine & does this sound right, shutting down, loud popping, lots of smoke? HELP?

Answer
Hello, sorry I just got your question, I've been away a couple of days
It's hard to say if what they say is actually the problem ,engines do not blow up for no reason, so either it ran out of oil/low on oil or there was another mechanical issue. Maybe a broken timing belt or water pump failure, like I mentioned it's hard to say. I would ask to speak to the mechanic there and get a little more information and be more specific as to the engine condition, ask:
is the engine seized
was there any oil in it
did a connecting rod break and go through the block
is it possible the water pump failed and caused the timing belt to break?
Best of luck.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter