Toyota Repair/Oil Change

I was talking to my girlfriend in Germany and she was telling me how in Germany, people get an oil change once every 20k-30k miles as opposed to 5k in the US. Do we really need to change our oil every 5k? I have a Yaris and I use syntheic oil and it was really surprising here how big of a difference it is.

Your friend may have been referring to Kilometers which is the standard in Europe, 20,000KM is about 12,000 miles, the intervals depend on the year and model of the cars, Toyota now recommends 10,000 mile oil changes since about 2012 using synthetic oil at a 0-20w viscosity, if you have an older car with higher mileage this oil is not recommended due to the difference in engine design and wear due to mileage.
Always follow manufacturers recommendation for your car.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems