Toyota Repair/2002 toy. camry code po 420

I read about a answer you gave about this code.  It might not be a bad  catalyst but a computer problem. I plan to go to a dealer and what should i tell them and what answers can i expect. my vin number is 4t1be32k22uo15049 thank you Bill

Hello, there is a service bulletin for this model, it calls for computer recalibration and the cat converter replacement, I would just have them do the recalibration (about $95) and then see how it goes, by the way this procedure is for PZEV(partial zero emission vehicle) only, it the engine has an O2 sensor on top of the exhaust manifold and no heatshield then it's a PZEV if it has a heat shield covering the exhaust manifold be prepared to replace the converter/manifold assembly..  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems