Toyota Repair/2008 Rav4 AC

My air works fine until I stop in traffic -- while stopped for more than a minute or so it starts blowing warm air. As soon as I accelerate it blows cold again. I took it to Toyota dealership and they found nothing wrong with it. It happened again twice this week. I want to go in with an idea of what may be wrong for them to check it out. Frustrated - it's hot where I live and lots of traffic! :( the car has 71,000 miles

The most likely cause is that the system is low an freon, I have no idea what they checked or they just told you there is nothing wrong without checking system freon pressures, it's obvious there is something wrong or you would not complain about it.
Here is what should be done when taking it in for a/c diagnosis:
Connect a oomputer controlled A/C service machine
Check the freon pressures
If too low, the system is evacuated and the correct amount of freon is put in
the system is retested and raod tested to confirm the problem is fixed
If for some reason the pressures are abnormal there would be additional diagnosing required
Please go a shop that has A/C expertise and qualified A/C tecnicians and explain the problem and make sure they test drive it after the repair so you don't get the car back with the same problem.
Here's what you can try yourself if you wish to do so.
Go to an auto parts store like Autozone and buy a A/C recharge kit, get the one that has a pressure gauge on it for about $35, follow the instructions that come with it and see if it will take some freon in.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems