Toyota Repair/temperature needle goes up when car is stuck in traffic

Hi Ted ,

Please give me some advise,my car is 1990 cressida,with 750000 ( i just bought it ) .So far the check engine light is ON,and i noticed that if my car is moving,temperature needle is in the middle,but when i am stuck in traffic,it would go all the way up to RED Line.Once the car is moving ,it would drop down . I have flushed the coolant,and replaced the thermostat,still i am having the same problem,i took it to a radiatorspecialist and he turned me away,said that he can't do anything since my radiator is not clogged,and the hoses are fine. I also heard that it could be the head gasket problem,is this it? I am still driving it but got very nervous when i am stuck in traffic,please help !

Hello, at this time I don't think it's ahead gasket issue, I think a possible problem may be the fan clutch, if it was ahead gasket it should show up more under load while driving. Check the fan clutch, when the engine is warm the fan should the fan should be hard to rotate, when cold it should be very easy to rotate by hand, if this not the case the fluid coupling is not working, it can actually be taken apart and serviced by putting new silicon oil in it, you just have to find someone that knows what I'm talking about and is willing to do this, you may opt to just replace it.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems