Toyota Repair/94 toyota tercel gauge fuse

hello I have a 94 toyota tercel with a 1.5L 3EE engine with a 4 speed manual transmission. Recently the 15 amp gauge fuse has been blowing intermittently. To my understanding the fuse supplies power to the gauges(fuel level, coolant temp.) and also gives power to run the ac system. I have isolated the ac from the circuit and the fuse still blows intermittently. I also isolated the coolant temp gauge to eliminate that possibility. The only thing I have noticed acting differently is that it takes quite a bit longer for the fuel level gauge to reach the proper levels. Is is possible the gauges are worn out and have built enough internal resistance for the fuse to blow??? I bought the car 160K or so with a hole in the block and rebuilt another engine for it and swapped the auto transmission with a manual one. it now has 237K any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hello, fuses blow due to too much current so it's not too much resistance but rather less resistance somewhere causing excess current to flow. Could the problem be in the gauges? Possibly yes, remove the cluster and check the circuit board for any signs of overheating or discoloration. Also try driving with the cluster removed and see if the fuse still blows  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems