Toyota Repair/1996 Toyota Avalon Tail Light Relay Location

The tail lights on my 96 Toyota Avalon do not turn on.  The lamps are good (brake lights work),  the fuse is good.  In another post, you said there is a relay for the tail lights.  I looked inside the left fender area and found two modules: one is the receiver for the wireless entry and the other is labeled "Lamp Failure". I did not find anything that looked like a relay.  Am I looking in the right area?

Hello, the lamp failure relay is the one that can cause the lights to not work, before replacing the relay I would recommend using a test light at the bulb sockets to make sure there is no voltage coming through the relay, it's also common for the wires to break inside the insulation that runs along the left trunk hinge, remove the insulation and check for any broken wires.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems