Toyota Repair/1988 Toyota Corolla Carb issuses

Hello, have an 88 totyota corolla that ran "okay", husband rebuilt carb, ( due to lady we bought it from said it needed it), Now run aweful, surging and backfiring. Its got a 1.6L engine. no vaccum leaks. please help, were at a loss?? TY!

Hello, there could be number of things that may have happened while working on the carburetor, if it seemed to run ok, this is where the problem is, the fuel level in the float bowl may be too low or too high, one of the metering jets is clogged, the carburetor base gasket is missing or leaking, the first step would be to remove the top of the carb again and check the float adjustment using the gauge that comes with the rebuild kit, make sure the accelerator pump is installed correctly and is injecting fuel when pushed down.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems