Toyota Repair/1988 Toyota Pick (NOT a 4 Runner) Just a basic pick up

I have a 1988 Toyota Pick up the when you drive it, it does not overheat (the gauge is in the normal range).  However, once you turn it off, white steam rises from the engine.  Can you tell me what is happening and what I need to do.  I can repair my cars myself, but this one, I've never come across. I am kind of thinking water pump as it is not coming from the radiator.

Steam usually means there is a coolant leak, do you have a way to pressure tect the cooling system? Most autoparts stores like autozone have an inexpensive pressure tester or they can loan one to you, pressurizing the system will give you the exact location of the leak.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems