Toyota Repair/94 toyota 4runner Transmission trouble

QUESTION: I just changed the automatic transmission on my 94 4runner (used one).  Problem is that it takes about 15 min. of travel to start normal operation. At first, it moves very slowly when in first gear, the next gear changes without any problem but when I stop at lights again slows down. only after a while it starts to react normally to the gas pedal. after 15 or 20 min. everything is normal.  Should I change the speed sensor?

ANSWER: I would not replace anything unless the check engine light is on, is it on or have you checked for any diagnostic codes yet?

QUESTION: Thanks for your help.  No, check engine is not on.  But a blinking ON/OD flashes for the time the transmission malfunctions.   Is this a code?

Yes there are transmission codes, to get the code numbers locate the diagnostic check connector under the hood near the fuse box, open the cover and locate the connectors TC and E1, put a jumper wire between these to connectors in the socket, turn the key on and push the O/D switch on, the O/D light will start blink a pattern, for example a code 34 would be three blinks followed by four and so on, there may be more than one code, if so there will be a short pause between each two digit code, if not then the same code will just keep repeating.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems