Toyota Repair/96 Toyota Avalon light problems

The tail lights, gauge lights, and parking lights on the above mentioned car have all stopped working at the same time. I have checked all the fuses that I am aware of and they are all good. Is there a relay that controls these lights and if so where is it located? I have removed the covers from the relay/fuse boxes that are located on the driver side fender well under the hood and can find no relay or fuse in these compartments labeled tail lights. The fuse panel inside the vehicle has a 7.5 amp fuse (according to the owners manual) labeled for these lights but it has power across it and is not blown. Please help.

Hello, there is a relay in the trunk under the carpet at the left side fender area, it may be mounted on a metal brace on the back, remove the relay and open the cover, if in doubt replace it, if the relay is not the problem you'll have to cut the insulation of the harness open that runs along the left trunk hinge, the wires are known to break due to stretching from opening and closing of the trunk. with the relay unplugged check the wire harness coming from the frontwith the headlight switch on there should be voltage to the green wires.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems